What sex is your computer ?
A French teacher was explaining to her class that in French, unlike English,
nouns are designated as either masculine or
"House" is feminine - "la maison"
"Pencil" is masculine - "le crayon"
A student asked : "What gender is 'computer' ?"
Instead of giving the answer, the teacher split the class into two groups -
male and female - and asked them to decide for themselves whether "computer"
should be a masculine or a feminine noun. Each group was asked to give four
reasons for their recommendation.
The men's group decided that "computer" should definitely be of the feminine
gender ("la computer"), because :
1. No one but their creator understands their internal logic ;
2. The native language they use to communicate with other computers is
incomprehensible to everyone else ;
3. Even the smallest mistakes are stored in long-term memory for
possible later review ; and
4. As soon as you make a commitment to one, you find yourself spending half
your salary on accessories for it.
The women's group, however, concluded that computers should be masculine
("le computer") because :
1. In order to do anything with them, you have to turn them on ;
2. They have a lot of data but still can't think for themselves ;
3. They are supposed to help you solve problems, but half the time they ARE
the problem ; and
4. As soon as you commit to one, you realize that if you had waited a
little longer, you could have gotten a better model.
Back to the
Back to the start